The profession of the Software Engineer is among the most requested by companies today, increasingly technological. Here’s how to become a black belt of PCs between software and hardware with or without a specific degree. In this article, we will give you a complete guide about how to become a software engineer?
Society is more and more technological, and devices have become part of our daily life as much as entrepreneurial realities. You can no longer do without the use of the PC in every professional field. Wherever there is a computer system, there is also a Software Engineer. A professional figure that is increasingly in demand nowadays and who is. Therefore, worthwhile to consider when choosing among the many engineering degree courses. Let’s see how it is possible to become one and what exactly it does.
How TO BECOME A SOFTWARE ENGINEER: THE MAN BEHIND THE SCREEN
The existence of many electronic systems and computers has led to the creation of a new profession, namely that of the Software Engineer. Who deals with creating and managing software, infrastructures, and devices and then processing data and information. Furthermore, he can develop hardware components by applying his knowledge in Information Technology (IT). We can also say that computer engineering was born as an evolution of electronic engineering, specializing in computer design.
TWO TYPES OF SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Software Engineering falls into two sub-categories that will turn you into software or hardware engineers. In the first case, you will deal with the design of computer programs. Such as embedded systems, management systems, websites, video games, firmware, mobile apps, and specific software for business intelligence, almost coinciding with another professional, the Software Developer.
On the other hand, the computer hardware engineer creates components, such as microchips, electronic boards, circuits, and even computers. Obviously taking care to indicate the performances corresponding to each element of the hardware. And then create the prototypes on which to apply the product validation tests. He may even have to do the editing part of the manuals.
Graduated immediately in Engineering
Even if, as we said initially, programming skills can be acquired in various ways (by studying independently or following both university and para-university courses), if you wish to claim the Engineer’s title, there is no other possible way to enroll in Engineering. In addition to being one of the most requested by the world of work, the degree in Engineering is also the field of study on which we focus in the road n ° 1 that must consider those who want to work as a Software Engineer.
In this way, you could choose to enroll in a three-year degree course in Computer Engineering. This course can allow you to reach the necessary knowledge easily.
Also Read: How to write on Word.
To become an engineer, you must finally pass the State Exam. This is announced every year by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (Miur). For more information (date of the test, procedure, registration procedure), you can consult the official website of the Ministry, Education. It.
Program without graduating in Engineering
You don’t necessarily have to be an Engineering graduate if you want to work in the world of IT. For example, those who want to work as a programmer have many possible paths ahead of them. Among these, there is, for example, the degree course in Computer Science, of the SSMMFFNN Department (Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences), or the degree in Mathematics, or even the technical high school diploma to which you can combine, if you want, a course post-graduate specialization.
How TO BECOME A SOFTWARE ENGINEER: PREPARE FOR THE TEST
The degree course in Software Engineering is almost always limited, therefore with an access test to pass, very often created and managed by the Cassia inter-university consortium. The subjects on which the test usually focuses are logic, verbal understanding, mathematics, chemistry, physics.
To prepare for the test, the advice is to study specific books for the Engineering test: these are volumes focused on the subjects on which the questions you will have to answer will focus. And to test the level of preparation reached, you can use an e-learning platform for Engineering tests.
THE SOFTWARE ENGINEER IS NOT ALONE WOLF
In fact, he will often find himself working within a group of other types of engineers, technicians, programmers, and Software Developers, having to both sit at the desk in front of the computer and stand in the laboratory to conduct hardware tests. In short, the Software Engineer has the gift of ubiquity, moving between different tasks of development, assistance, in the office but also remotely: we are therefore talking about a rather flexible job by place and time that therefore requires a certain versatility.
WHERE DO YOU FIND WORK?
The IT companies are the places of choice for a Software Engineer. Therefore, we are talking about hardware design and production companies, such as smartphones, PCs, components, home automation, robotics, sites, apps, industrial automation, and companies that develop software, telecommunications companies that offer IT assistance. Other possible outlets for an IT engineer can be found in IT consultancy and web services agencies, obviously also as a freelancer.
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING OPENS THE DOORS TO DIFFERENT SECTORS:
- Automation of services, both in the private sector and in the industry;
- Robotics, programming, and application of artificial intelligence;
- Management and development of IT services for companies;
- Creating multimedia applications for internal corporate or public use;
- I work in telecommunications and security infrastructures;
- Management and design of software and applications for telephone companies.
In Italy, the computer engineer’s role has now importantly established itself and has found various declinations within the corporate landscape. The new professions related to computer engineering are different:
- Web developer
- Web programmer
- Web designer
- System Engineer
HOW TO BECOME A SOFTWARE ENGINEER?
First of all, a distinction must be made between the Software Engineer who can boast an academic qualification, which coincides with both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees and the professional who comes from different study paths but has become an IT engineer in the field. There is no faculty specifically dedicated to computer engineering in Italy because it is a subject that is part of the more general degree course in engineering, together with mechanics, electronics, chemistry, and computer science.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER WITH ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
If you want to become a Software Engineer through a university career, the engineering faculty provides a limited entry test on various subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Logic, and Verbal Understanding. To better address this challenge, we recommend consulting a manual. Such as that of the Alpha Test.
Once you have passed the entrance test, you will structure a study course that will prepare you as a computer engineer. After completing the three-year and possibly master’s exams, you will have to pass the state exam for enrollment in the Register of Engineers, announced annually by the Miur.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER WITH PROFESSIONAL TITLE
If you have not followed the canonical university path, it is still possible to become a computer engineer through direct experience, even if coming from other paths. In fact, to carry out this job, you can come from the world of computer science and mathematics. Indeed, if one cannot really count on a degree, it will be possible to become a computer engineer even with a single high school technical diploma, if accompanied by further or para-university training.
Here is a partial, non-exhaustive list of some of the most common tasks for a Software Engineer.
Research, evaluate, and synthesize technical information to design, develop, and test IT systems:
- collect and document user requests and develop logical and physical specifications;
- develop data, processes, and network models to optimize the architecture and evaluate the performance and reliability of projects;
- plan, design, and coordinate the development, installation, integration, and operations of IT systems;
- choose the most appropriate programming language and identify the development structure to be used to speed up the entire process;
- consider cross-platform integration;
- writing efficient and verifiable code for the software system;
- prepare automatic tests to be conducted according to the Test-Driven Development (TDD) model, in which the programmer performs the tests and programs at the same time, making the process much more efficient and less time-consuming; 
- conduct both functional tests to make sure that everything works correctly, and “UAT” tests (a process that aims to verify that the solutions are suitable for the user) to ensure that the product fully meets the needs of the end-user;
- perform additional integration checks to ensure that the new or refurbished product integrates correctly with other systems.
Supervise and contribute to the development of the project in all its phases:
- direct, coordinate, and supervise IT teams, dring that of the software and the integrated information system and other control systems.
- Evaluate, test, troubleshoot, document, update, and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communication environments, and applications:
- document every aspect and detail of the application or system as a reference for future maintenance and updates.
- Develop and administer databases to search and accumulate a large amount of information during software development.
- Encourage continuous improvements through the search for alternatives and technologies.
- Identify and fix the bugs presented by the developed software after its correct implementation.
- Daily activities
- Analyze customer needs, then design and develop software that meets them.
- Design each part of the application or system and determine how these parts will work together.
- Write the code that will develop the software system.
- Make sure the software is working properly during testing and maintenance.
- Recommend updates for existing programs and systems.
- Collaborate with other professional engineers and computer scientists to create optimal software.
Skills and Qualifications Required
Extraordinary computer skills:
- understand computer skills and languages to create effective software.
- Exceptional creativity in designing new software.
Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills:
- communicate clearly, both in oral and written form, to create a positive environment with customers and collaborators, and to be able to provide clear and understandable information during the course of work;
- be able to read and write programming codes;
- knowing how to collaborate in a multidisciplinary group.
Analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills:
- identify and resolve issues in a timely and judicious manner;
- analyze customer needs to develop software that satisfies them.
Organizational, time management, and attention to detail skills:
- knowing how to work both independently and as part of a team in a hectic environment;
- manage projects with tight deadlines;
- knowing how to establish priorities and responsibilities adequately.
To enter this field, the candidate needs a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Engineering, Applied Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Physics, or Mathematics. However, software engineering is a career that requires specific skills. Such as being able to program computers and having experience with computer systems.
Every candidate for jobs in this sector must be proficient in computer science, data structures and algorithms, mobile applications and databases, and good English language knowledge.
There is a professional Order of Engineers for each province in Italy, which brings together all those practicing the engineer profession. To be authorized to sign projects, appraisals, and work independently, Engineers must be enrolled in the professional register.
HOW MUCH DOES A SOFTWARE ENGINEER EARN
A statistic recorded that 95% of IT engineers found employment in Italy and 68.5% even with permanent contracts. Furthermore, 76% of graduates in Italy and Europe found a job within six months of obtaining a three-year or master’s degree.
Also Read: How to update PowerPoint.
The minimum wage as an employee reaches 1,700 euros net per month but, depending on the type of tasks performed and the tasks, it could increase. Seniority is also a factor that raises the salary, reaching 2,000 euros net per month. On the other hand, if we are talking about freelancers enrolled in the Register and with a VAT number, annual revenues can exceed 50,000 euros. The perspective changes further if we look to America, where the data tells a different story: the computer engineer here can enjoy an annual income of around 80,000 / 120,000 dollars.